24.2.11

Dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk

Nikon D300s 300 f4 + 1.7X TC, f/7.1, 1/2500s, ISO 800

I made it to EPCAL after work today and worked the Western runway with virtually no birds save for a Northern Harrier along the eastern woodline. Frustrated and with the window of sunlight quickly closing I headed to the Eastern runway which I have seldom visited. A gorgeous juvenile Northern Harrier (below) was resting near the runway but was spooked by my approaching vehicle and took off. Still frustrated in the lack of birds I continued on to the southern end of the runway where I saw a large very dark bird chasing a Northern Harrier which eluded the larger hawk. The Hawk then turned and flew near my vehicle where I photographed it and assumed it was a dark-morph Rough-legged Hawk which I later confirmed by consulting Jerry Liguori's Hawks from Every Angle: How to Identify Raptors In Flight. Based on Jerry's descriptions, it's almost certain this is a Adult Male roughie which is darker than the female.
Read more �

No comments:

Post a Comment